Tung Chung Fort was believed to be built in 1817. After the small words on the horizontal inscribed stele of the entrance were discovered, however, it is proved to be built in 12th year of Dao Guang (1832). The fort is about 5600 sq. feet and the enclosures are made of granite. Up on the northern part of the city wall, there are 6 old cannon that were cast in the Qing Dynasty and still pointing out to the sea. During the World War II, the Japanese army occupied the fort. In 1979, it was listed as one of the historical monuments. In 1988 the walls and some of the original structures were restored and additional visitor facilities were provided. In addition, the antiquities museum was opened in May 2001.